The first lodge on the island hence has the best beach!!
It is set within the marine park looking over the Chole bay.
It is an ideal location for diving and whale sharks trips. Visit the Chole mjini, explore around the island or simply relax by the beach while watching bat foxes flying over your head at sun set.
Today Mafia is known as a beautiful Indian Ocean tropical resort that is famous for deep sea fishing and scuba diving. Aquatic life is abundant and the coral gardens are pristine due to the protection of the Mafia Island Marine Park. The park is located between the Rufiji River delta to the west and the open Indian Ocean to the east.
The dual influences of the river and the sea have combined to create a rich and exceptional biodiversity with unique landscapes under the sea and on dry land.
It is a unique and perfect destination as part of a safari package or simply a place to unwind and get away from the daily, modern and busy world.
14 Superior rooms, 18 Standard rooms and 2 Family rooms are set among the coconut palms with their own veranda overlooking the bay:
– they are all self-contained with air conditioning.
– twin and double beds are available.
All our rooms have garden and sea view. Hot and cold water is available 24 hours a day.
The 2 family Suites are made out of 2 comfortable connecting rooms with one sharing bathroom, each one with its own veranda overlooking garden and sea. They may comfortably accommodate a max of 5 guests.
Other facilities include:
– a gift shop
– laundry service
– sailing and scuba diving.
The cuisine is continental with an emphasis on seafood.
Snacks, sandwiches and bitings are available.
Board games, ping pong, pool table and volleyball are provided.
Renewed Beach Bar
Located on our beautiful beach – the only one in Chole Bay unaffected by tide – our Beach Bar offers light lunches and early afternoon fare such as salads, sandwiches and freshly caught fish, complemented by a fully-stocked bar.
As the sun goes down, it becomes the ultimate chillout zone for sitting back with a happy hour cocktail while watching the beautiful African sunset. We will also be offering intimate candlelit dinners, perfect for celebrating occasions such as anniversaries, birthdays, honeymoons or simply the pleasure of sampling our special menus on request.
The bar’s open, generous size makes it the perfect spot for monthly dance parties dedicated to different genres of music…Traditional African rythmes, dance music, or even…. tango!
The Dive Center is a PADI resort dive and excursions center situated on the beachfront of the Mafia Island Lodge. Diving in the pristine reefs of the archipelago is an experience which allows you to enjoy the amazingly varied display of marine life.
It is possible to organize boat excursions and picnics to isolated islets and sandbanks located in the middle of the ocean, as well as Chole Island and main island excursions to discover the natural beauty and their people:
– Chole island is home to a large colony of Comoros Flying Foxes or fruit bats found only in Mafia and the Comoro Islands and there are also some ancient ruins remaining on a few of the islets.
The ruins date back to the 15th century from the first Arab settlers and are interesting to visit.
– One can also experience the friendly culture of the Swahili people with tours through the local villages. There is a day trip to the Northern part of Mafia where you will get the to experience of the full diversity of the fauna and flora on the island, as well as see some of Mafia’s most pristine and beautiful beaches.
– Nature trails and bird watching are also organized.
All excursions are weather and tide dependent.
Mafia Island Lodge employes from the local communities of the Island, following the strong belief that working in the tourism industry, in close contact with foreigners, a sense of proudness of their own land can be raised and a need of conservation can be conscientiously spread within the island communities.
Mafia Island Lodge supports and promote local conservation and environmental educational projects: guests are informed, involved and asked to support those projects.
– SeaSense organization, supported by the Lodge, has been working with the local communities to promote the importance and protection of marine turtles and their habitats through various projects since 2001.
– Mafia Island Lodge has been supporting Karibuni Onlus, a non-profit organisation, since 1997.
The goal of Karibuni Onlus is to aid the local community, and some of the projects that have been implemented include sponsoring children through school, micro-project fundings, building water wells, and the construction of a new primary school as well as a health care unit in Utende village.